Sunday, July 22, 2012

Just Pin it

      Pinterest strikes again.  It's like a library of things I want to do.  I pin and I pin.  I have pinned so many organizing and cleaning ideas and solutions that my house should be pristine.  But I think I fall a little short on the execution most of the time.  So it isn't pristine.  It isn't even remotely organized.   Luckily I pinned a nice sign idea that says "Please excuse the mess the children are busy making memories."  Pretty sure that guilt sign will stop anyone from saying anything about the utter chaos I live in. 
       Recently I pinned an "easy sewing tutorial."   I thought... ok see, everyone is saying how easy it was to make this diaper stacker.  Surely I could do this!  And then I could add grey and yellow into the room more (because I have been trying to get his room re do done since like May).  This will be great.  I went to Joann's and I bought all the stuff I needed (spent way more than I would have on BUYING a diaper stacker though...) and came home and went to work.
      It started out easy enough.  I used my new cutter (the silhouette cameo which I adore) and cut some space themed shapes.  Went off without a hitch!   Then I took out the scissors and the directions and this is where the trouble started.  The 1st problem is that I cannot cut a straight line.  Like not even remotely.  The 2nd problem is I cannot think inside out and upside down like you need to when you sew.  This "easy" tutorial might as well have been written half in Chinese for the amount of understanding I was lacking at the different parts.  Thread was ripped, fingers were poked, colorful words were uttered and I nearly threw in the towel 3 different times.  I was ready to be D-O-N-E with the stupid sewing ideas on pinterest.   Realizing not only would I never quilt like my mom but my husband would still be farming out to get his button replaced on his shirt.  Eventually I muddled through thinking just finish the &*%!@$( thing!!   Who cares if it's wrong at this point.  And then it was done.
     And you know what??  A seamstress would absolutely notice that my corners were more like curves and my pleats were uneven and that everything doesn't line up perfectly.  And the OCD part of me wants to remove the applique rocket and Saturn and stars and change them so they are dead center.  But without inspection it looks like it could have been STORE BOUGHT!   Holy crap I did it.  AND the diapers actually fit in there.  And the hanger did too.  WOOT WOOT.  Touche Pinterest. 
  I might actually use this for a few months as the little one doesn't appear to have any looming interest in potty training, despite the many Pinterest boards dedicated to the subject.



No comments:

Post a Comment